Friday, June 28, 2013

Summer vacation

A little over a year ago I quit my PR job to pursue teaching. I wanted to change the world, play with playdoh, get a million hugs a day -- and have a summer vacation. I went straight from college, to my first job, then my first job turned into real life. And in real life, you don't get a summer vacation. Meanwhile some of my friends went to graduate school where they had winter breaks, summer breaks were they interned, and after graduation, many had a bit of an impromptu gap year while looking for a job. I was so envious. I knew it was wrong to be jealous of the unemployed, but I wanted to have projects around the house, and a workout schedule and embrace my hobbies. So once everyone I knew had jobs and didn't have summers or winters off anymore, I decided that was the time to get my summer vacation. (Great planning right?) Luckily I made some teaching friends, and most of my friends still have pretty cushy schedules, so I plan on a pretty social summer. Still, this vast six-weeks of open schedule is exciting, and daunting. I have plenty to fill my schedule... in fact, I may have too much. But as I navigate my first jobless summer in at least 8 years I thought the only way I'll believe myself in when I try to retell stories, is if I chronicle my adventures. So here we go.

No comments:

Post a Comment